Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Floatin on the Dead Sea...

I have been looking forward to this field trip for months! I definitely wasn't disappointed! The adventure began at 6:15 in the morning as we loaded the buses and started our decent. We had to drive to the lowest point in the earth...1500 feet below sea level! My ears were definitely popping.  Our first stop was Masada! This is a huge fortress on top of a giant plateau. Some people even ran down the entire thing at the end. We got to give ourselves a self guided tour. I was definitely grateful to be here in the fall...because this place would have been miserable in the summer it was hot!  

very steep cliffs...definitely wouldn't want to bring my child here...

Israeli army backpacks. There was a large group of them

My group for the self guided tour

beautiful! 

My friend Jacob, I'm wife number 3.5

I think this place had one of my favorite views of the semester. It really was breathtaking.

Next stop...the Dead Sea. This experience was mind boggling. First of all there is no way that you could sink. Your body is suspended and you just relax. The one downside is the salt kills your eyes. We had a lot of fun taking pictures and I really could have stayed there for hours. It was like defying gravity! 


Just lounging around... :) 

Playing dead in the Dead sea :) (aren't we clever?)

We drove across the street to Ein Gedi which is a nature reserve with a ton of fresh water pools and waterfalls. Needless to say we had a lot of fun exploring.

We made it to the highest waterfall!! 


Finally, what you all have been waiting for...Qumran! This was my site report and it was actually neat to see it in real life. This is where the dead sea scrolls were discovered . 
I just had to get my own picture of the famous cave 4 :)

Me, Cal and Caitie :) Party! 

No comments:

Post a Comment