Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Galilee, O Galilee


Galilee. There are really no words to describe this incredible 10 day excursion. Every moment was filled with fun and spiritual growth. I cant even begin to describe my love for that beautiful sea and everything surrounding it. As all my previous blog posts I find it easiest to tell my experience through pictures...so once again I apologize for the extreme number.  

Day 1- 
Our day began bright and early...we had to be on the bus with all our stuff by 6:15...yup. Packing alone was an adventure. Its hard to figure out how to put 10 days worth of clothes in one suitcase. I did it though! 
First stop was the ruins of Beth Shean!!

Rachel, Jaeylen, Lauren, Aliessea and I in front of some awesome columns...(like I haven't seen any of those this trip)
 Ancient toilet pics :)  
 On the way out of Beth Shean we got to ride a tram that reminded me of Disneyland! :) 

Next stop was Nazareth! There were some beautiful churches there.
This is the door to the Church of the Annucation which commemorates the angel Gabriel appearing to Mary. 

I really have a small obsession with stain glass windows...

 Me and Mikel...oh how I love that girl! 

Our final stop was a beautiful look out (Mt. Arbel) where we got to see the wonderful place that we would be staying for the next ten days.
 Me and Mackenzie!

 First sunset. We got to our resort, Ein Gev, right as the sun was setting. We got to see a similar view every night.

NO better way than to end the day with slack lining...lets just say I needed a lot of help.  

Day 2
Sea of Galilee field trip!
 Jackson and I floating on a boat in the middle of the Sea of Galilee 

 After our boat trip we got to see the remains of a boat from Jesus' time. Its crazy to think it survived that long!

Next stop was probably one of my favorite of the week, Mt. of Beatitudes. We just had a lot of contemplation and thinking time. You could really feel the spirit and the gardens were beautiful.
Mt. of Beatitudes. 

 Yup...I'm walking on water! 

Today we also visited the Tabgha churches and Capernum (where Christ preformed most of his teachings.

 So at night Jackson and I rescued a little kitten...oh he was so cute! 


 Day 3

So on day three of Galilee it finally came! One of the families came up half way through the week and they brought Mikele and my mission calls! They finally came in the mail! It was an amazing experience to open them on the sea of Galilee in the same place that Peter, James and John received their calls. I am so excited to go serve the Lord. I have been called to the New York New York North mission. I leave March 6th and I am speaking spanish! I am beyond excited and I know without a doubt its what the lord wants for me right now.



Doesn't get much happier than that :) 

Day 4 
Golan Heights Field Trip! 

We started out in Gamla were we got to climb a mountain! I have missed going on hikes so this was a lot of fun! 
 Today was Thanksgiving and one girl brought along a inflated Turkey! We got some good pictures! 

At the top of the mountain! 

 just peaking around some ruins

 Turkey loving 

This was our last stop! We hiked to the top of Hippos.

Later in the day we went river rafting! or...river floatin...it was a lot of fun and our group got really into it! We tried to race everyone but in the end we still lost. I think we were trying the hardest though...oh well :)

 Day 5

After classes today we went on an adventurous hike! There was mud EVERYWHERE! literally we couldnt walk there was so much! Our shoes were caked with it..but we got into the adventure of it. 

 Me, Liz and Mary embracing the wild

 our muddy shoes!


Day 6

Today was the sabbath so we got to go to the special Galilee branch. We had the opening prayer in spanish, the sacrament prayer in Hebrew and the closing prayer in Arabic. It was amazing.
 Me and the Judd girls

On our way home we stopped at the River Jordan.
 This is a scripture in Pigion...the Hawaiian language :) 

 Just standing in the baptismal fonts :)

I just love beautiful sunsets


Day 7
Jezreel Valley Field Trip

We got to see Mount Tabor the sight of Jesus and the transfiguration and Megiddo where the famous battle of Armageddon is prophesied. 

 Hanging out in our rain jackets on top of Mt. Tabor (they told us we needed them...did it rain??? nope.

Mt. Tabor

All of us are dead at Megiddo! 

Day 8
=Classes...not to exciting

Day 9
Upper Galilee Field Trip

First we stopped at Hazor!

 Just some ruins...nbd

 Hey...where is the statue???

Next we went to one of my favorite sites..Dan! it was absolutely beautiful and we went around on lots of hikes

 walkin through the forest.

Next stop was Caesarea Philippi. There wasnt much to see but it was still cool!




We climbed and explored the ancient crusaders castle! Nimrod Fortress! We definitely stormed the castle!

 My buddies :)

Finally at Har Bental Annie and I discovered some bunkers and a crazy dinosaur.  

 Day 10
Western Galilee Field Trip! 

First we stopped at Chorazin! 

 The seat of Moses! 

Next we explored Sepphoris with lots of ancient mosaics. Then it was on to Akko! In Akko we got to travel underground and see the ancient tunnels and city of the crusaders. It was pretty exciting and then it came out on a beautiful beach!

 I love these girls

 Just breath taking..

It was our last night in Galilee so we got to roast marshmallows over the campfire. A couple people even bought some chestnuts so I got to fulfill my dream of "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."

Day 11
Mediterranean Field Trip

 We were up and ready to go early as we said goodbye to our little Kibbutz house. These were my roommates...Mikele, Rachel and Stashia.


First we stoped at Mt Carmel where Elijah challenged the priests of Baal. 


 I just love my roommates! 

Next stop was Haifa where we went to a cemetery where some missionaries were buried. It was humbling to see the sacrifice that some made for the gospel. 

Finally our last stop...Caesarea Maritima
this was a beautiful beach side ruin that Herod the Great built. It was fun to explore and take pictures.





Finally we were on the bus headed for home...and what was waiting for us when we got there? Thanksgiving dinner JC style! We had a Turkey and everything. I am so grateful for all of my amazing friends, and this wonderful experience I have been able to have in Jerusalem so far! It truly has been incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment